Become an Artist in Residence
Affordable Artist Studios
Bailey Contemporary Arts is seeking artists who want to be part of a
creative and growing visual arts environment
Call to Artists for the Bailey Contemporary Arts Artists in Residency (A.i.R.) Program!
Application Deadline: Rolling Deadline
Availability: There are 11 studios which range from 96 – 196 sq. ft. Artists are encouraged to submit an application which will be reviewed by an Artist Selection Panel. Applications are always accepted and are placed on a waiting list.
Artists selected for this program range from emerging to mid-career artists, and work in all artistic disciplines and media; including drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, new media, installation and interdisciplinary expression.
The Artists in Residence (A.i.R.) program offers affordable private studios to local, national, and international artists. Artists in Residence become part of a dynamic community of artists participating in Bailey Contemporary Arts (BaCA) programming, allowing for exchange and collaborative relationships to develop within the artist community. Space is awarded to applicants that best demonstrate their capabilities and intent to provide a social benefit through their art to Pompano Beach and beyond, and have a proven track record of community engagement. Artists that are selected for the Artists in Residence Program receive 24-hour access to the venue, free Wi-Fi, a one-year lease agreement that can be renewed for one additional year, opportunities to participate in programming and special events, as well as teach classes and workshops at BaCA.
Click here to download all application documents
(Application must include ALL items below**)
- Cover Sheet
- Curriculum vitae (CV) that provides an overview of experience and other qualification
- Letter of interest, outlining specific interest in working at BaCA and how participation will affect artist’s practice
- Three letters of recommendation, personal and/or professional that include names, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses
- Documentation of recent work
- Up to 15 images accompanied by an image list with title, date, size, media, and, where applicable, conceptual intent
- $25 processing fee – check made payable to: Pompano Beach Cultural Affairs Department
- Email to email@example.com Mail or deliver application with all supporting material to: Pompano Beach Cultural Affairs Department, 50 W Pompano Beach, FL 33060. Include the word APPLICATION in the subject line of your email or on the outside of envelope.
- Support and investment in individuals whose work will impact the larger cultural landscape
- Artist advancement programming & coaching
- Experimentation and collaboration
- Integration into a dynamic community of local, national, international artists, and an expansive network of creative professionals
- Opportunities for engagement and cross-cultural exchange with local artists and audiences
- A yearly presentation at BaCA, usually in annual A.i.R. Group Show or a solo exhibit
- Artists 18 years or older
- Merit of past work as determined by jury process
- Readiness to engage with, and benefit from the studio experience as outlined in BaCA program goals above
- Potential to develop creative practice and contribute to the BaCA community (collaborative and interdisciplinary projects are encouraged as a priority)
- Potential to take the ideas and resources developed in the BaCA program into their professional development
- Applications are reviewed by an Artist Selection Panel
- Application review to ensure inclusion of all required materials and eligibility of artists
- The Director reviews submissions and submits them to the rotating Artist Selection Panel comprised of artists and arts professionals drawn from the South Florida art community and beyond, including gallerists, museum professionals, collectors, curators and higher education professionals.
- Current A.i.R’s also provide input during the selection process. However, the Artist Selection Panel provides the ultimate decision on the selection process.
- Applicants’ names are kept confidential
- Jury evaluates each artist's materials and selects finalists
- The selection process normally takes a one-two month period, depending on the number of submissions.
- Finalists attend a private scheduled interview and agree to a background check, if selected.
**Artist collaborations should apply together by submitting ONE application per group, specifying the number of individuals on the application form. BaCA can accommodate no more than three artists in a collaborative group.