To protect the public health and slow the rate of transmission of the coronavirus (COVID-19), all City of Pompano Beach public gatherings have been cancelled or postponed. In addition, until further notice, all cultural arts venues will be temporarily closed to the general public.
To preserve and continue a local and national heritage, works and beliefs of Mrs. Blanche Ely. The Blanche Ely House provides educational tours to schools and community groups and promotes the contributions made by Mrs. Blanche Ely to the African American Cultural Heritage and history of Pompano Beach.
The Blanche Ely House also provides historical curriculum for Blanche Ely High School.
Born in Reddick, FL in 1904. Graduated from Florida A&M University and received a master's degree from Columbia University.
In Broward County, first taught at Deerfield Beach then was named principal of what was then called the Pompano Colored School.
Initiated four schools: Pompano Migrant School aka Golden Acres, Coleman Elementary School, Markham Elementary school and Sanders Park Elementary School.
Petitioned for a new public high school when segregation was at its highest and when Pompano Beach’s population began to grow.
The new high school opened in 1951 and, in 1954, was named Blanche Ely High School.
The Blanche Ely House, home to Blanche and Joseph Ely, is a one story, 3-bedroom 2-bathroom home with a large living room, Florida room, a screened in patio and a stacked two-car garage.
The Blanche Ely historical home is an educational facility devoted to preserving, sharing and promoting the rich history, culture, and contributions of Blanche E. General Ely, an educator and humanitarian for African American children and teachers in Broward County.
The house will archive and research the history of African American communities in Pompano Beach, providing a forum for scholarship, historical overview and community participation through collaborative partnerships.
The Blanche Ely Historical Home is owned by the City of Pompano Beach and is on the Local Register of Historic Places. The City completed the renovations to the historic former home and is opened the home to the public on March 20, 2019.