The Fifth Annual Exit 36 Slam Poetry Festival is a three-day poetry festival that seeks to serve the community through educational, theatrical, and literary performances. The festival will nurture, support, and showcase regional, national, and international writers, facilitators, and artist from all over the country to honor the creative genius of our own cultural arts pioneers. The festival includes writing workshops, artists' talks, and the Slam Poetry competition. In its fifth year, the Exit 36 objectives remain the same -- to pay homage to poetry, spoken word, literacy, community engagement, and to celebrate the arts. The 3-day event attracts the premier spoken word artists in the country and will take place December 8-10, 2022 at the City’s cultural venues.
All-Access Festival Pass (For the 3-Days) | $65
The Festival Pass provides you with access to all the events during the entire festival: December 8 – 10
Daily Pass l $25
The Daily Pass provides you with access to the events on the selected day you purchase the ticket for: Thursday 12/8, Friday 12/9 or Saturday 12/10.
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL
Take advantage of our discounted price offered for a limited time on the festival pass: August 1 - August 31
- 3-Day All-Access Festival Pass | $32.50
Registration goes live July 1st!
Poets sign up HERE!
There will be 20 competing Poets, all competing Poets will need a total of five (5) poems to win.
During preliminary rounds (“bouts”), all poets will perform one (1) original poem.
- Each poet will draw a number to determine the order of each performance.
- No poet will be eliminated during preliminary competition.
- The 1st place winners of the preliminary competition will be awarded a refund of their $150 registration.
- If a poet wins more than one preliminary bout the $150 prize can be gifted to the runner-up of that bout, per the winning poet’s request or prize will be forfeited.
The top 15 poets with the highest cumulative score will advance to the Final Stage with the 16th and 17th ranked poets serving as sacrificial poets (Sacs) at Final Stage.
- Round 1 – Fifteen poets
- Round 2 – Eight poets
- Score is a cumulative score based upon the evening’s first two rounds.
- There is a half point deduction for every 10 secs over allotted three minute time limit, after a 20 second grace period.
- Round 3 – Four poets
- The Final round score is a clean slate and starts at zero.
- There will be a calibration poet before the final round
- There is a half point deduction for every 10 secs over allotted three-minute time limit, after a 20 second grace period.
- NO POEM REPEAT
– Poets are not allowed to repeat poems performed during the preliminary portion of the competition.
- Tie breaks will be decided by highest overall score except for the last round on final stage, which will be broken by poem, which can be a repeat poem.
- Protest to Scores must be done after bout, before score sheets are signed. Once score sheets are signed by competitors no protest can be issued.
- Score sheets MUST BE signed by all competitors.
- Three (3) Judges will be selected from a pre-selected group of judges. The remaining two (2) will be selected from the audience.
- No props allowed
- No reading of poems on final stage
- 3 minutes and 10 sec grace period during preliminary rounds
- 3 minutes and 20 second grace period during final stage
1st place : $2,500
2nd Place : $1,500
3rd Place : $1,000
Become a Volunteer
Our volunteers are essential in making our festival successful. We can never have too many volunteers and all we need is your love for people of all kinds, a willingness to learn and an appreciation for the performance and cultural arts.
Please sign up, we would love to have you!
Volunteer Positions Available:
- Judge – Will score the poets on a scale of 0.0 to 10.0 and assist in determining the winners.
- Score Keeper – Will keep official bout scores of the festival and report as needed.
- Time Keeper - Will keep official bout time for poet performances.
Please email Beeccentrich@gmail.com directly to sign up for any of the positions.
Scores will be updated here the next day after each bout and once score sheets are signed by all competitors.
Book your corporate rate for Pompano Beach Cultural Arts
To become a sponsor, Click Here